Meritor® Announces Electric Solutions Platform for Commercial Vehicles
www.chinatrucks.com: Meritor, Inc. (NYSE: MTOR) today announced it is developing a platform of electric drive axles and suspensions as well as supporting systems to position Meritor as a leader in electric solutions for the commercial vehicle market.
"Essentially, we're focusing on integrating an electric motor into the differential carrier," said Jay Craig, CEO and president for Meritor. "As we look to future emissions regulations and our customers' desire for more efficiency, we're developing new and innovative solutions to expand our product portfolio."
Meritor's flexible e-carrier design will be the foundation for various drivetrain configurations, including full electric, hybrid, single or tandem axles with various options based on application, according to Craig. Designed for city-delivery, medium-duty and transit bus, as well as off-road and severe-duty applications, the electrified, lightweight carrier offers several benefits over remote-mounted electric motor configurations.
Meritor designed the e-carrier as a drop-in replacement of a conventional mechanical carrier that does not disrupt axle or suspension packaging. Because the electric motor is integrated into the axle, space is freed up for batteries and other electrical components, offering easier packaging and installation and a safer, more protected location inside the frame rails to mount the batteries. The solution also eliminates cost and weight associated with a driveline and mounting a remote motor with brackets.
The following near-term electrified product solutions are under development by Meritor:
Integrated two-speed electric carrier platform capable of delivering 150-200 kilowatts of continuous power for mounting on existing axle platforms, fitting a wide variety of applications on rigid and independent suspensions
13Xe rigid axle, capable of 200 kilowatts of continuous power and featuring customizable gearing to cover linehaul, school bus, refuse, pickup and delivery, utility and other applications
Electric-driving independent suspension for applications such as military, emergency, off-highway and construction vehicles that will benefit from increased performance as well as better ride comfort and handling
Electric eCorner module for low-floor applications such as medium-duty Classes 4 and 5, pickup and delivery and transit buses.
Meritor will also offer braking systems optimized for e-axles. The Next Generation Quadraulic™ brake and Next Generation Air Disc Brake have been designed for use on hybrid or electric vehicles with regenerative braking. Both brakes reduce weight on wheel-ends, according to Craig.
Each of these product solutions focuses on increased fuel economy and efficient performance as well as drivability, emphasizing on-demand torque response of the electric motors. The components will be part of a demonstration vehicle to be built in 2018, with production beginning as early as 2019.
"These emerging electric solutions reflect Meritor's commitment to develop axle, suspension and brake technologies that support our technology roadmaps and future product plans based on our customers' needs," Craig said.
- Meritor CEO calls remanufacturing 'critical' to sustainability program 2012-10-15
- Meritor wins Remanufacturer of Year award from European mag 2012-09-05
- Meritor Wabco adds ABS system as standard on ProStar+, LoneStar 2012-08-07
- Meritor offering new instructor-led training courses 2012-07-17
- ArvinMeritor automobile body business has been sold 2011-01-05
- XMAL Invests Additional $17.3 Million to Expand its Off-Highway Business in China 2010-11-23
- Arvin Meritor sets up new production base in Nanjing 2010-11-04
- ArvinMeritor to sell body system business 2010-08-11
- ArvinMeritor to invest advanced technology in five years 2010-07-26
- Moody has elevated ArvinMeritor’s credit rating 2010-07-14
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Renault Trucks Stepping Up Presence in Iran
- Navistar Brings Electric Medium-Duty Truck in North America
- CNHTC with Its Strong Product Attended 1st Hong Kong International Auto Expo
- Daimler AG Ready To Bring Electric Trucks In India
- JAC Light-duty Trucks Show in Russian International Commercial Auto Show
- Sinotruk Proposes Reengineering Project to Strive for More Market Share
- JAC Put Four Light-duty Trucks on Display at Russia COMTRANS
- XCMG and Its 11 New Industrial-leading Fire Trucks Appear at China Fire 2017
- 2018 China (Guangzhou) Int’l Electric Vehicle Industrial Ecology Chain Expo
- Iveco to Attend China Fire Expo 2017
C&C Shows Off U550 Tractor at Shanghai Intermodal Asia
At the 4th Intermodal Asia, C&C Trucks, as the only manufacturer of heavy trucks at the Exhibition, brings two new tractor models U550 is among those on show, with advanced K13 engine and 6×4 wheel drive available
- China Sold 87,000 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in August
- Sales Volume of China’s Commercial Vehicles Reaches 293,000 Units in July
- Sales Volume of Tractors in June ,2017
- Heavy Truck Sales Expected to Pass 90,000 Mark in June
- Top 10 Sales for Light Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Sales Ranking for Medium Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Heavy Duty Truck Builders on the Market in May, 2017
- Natural Gas Truck Sees a Jump of 666% YoY in April
- Data Shows China Pickup Builders Move Further into Overseas Market
- Foton Stays in the First Place in April Light Truck Sales