Volvo Introduces LNG Versions of FM and FH Trucks
Liquid natural gas and biogas is being introduced to the latest Volvo trucks in order to bring them into line with Euro 6 compliance standards. Liquid natural gas and biogas is being introduced to the latest Volvo trucks in order to bring them into line with Euro 6 compliance standards.
Available in 420hp (313kW) and 460hp (343kW), the trucks are expected to result in 20-100 per cent lower CO2 emissions, depending on the choice of LNG or bio-LNG, according to the manufacturer.
The trucks are powered by gas engines utilising Diesel cycle technology, rather than the Otto cycle typically used for gas-powered vehicles.
The 460hp gas engine delivers maximum torque of 2300Nm, with the 420hp version giving 2100Nm.
Volvo director of environment and innovation Lars Mårtensson says both the climate and balance sheets will win with the new engines.
"We can now offer an alternative with low climate impact that also meets high demands on performance, fuel efficiency and operating range," Mårtensson says.
"This is a combination that our customers in regional and long haulage require."
Truck tanks are filled with LNG, with the biggest fuel tank variant containing enough LNG for a range of up to 1,000km.
The fuel is warmed up, pressurised and converted into gas while driving, before being injected into the engine. To ignite the gas a small amount of diesel is added at the moment of injection.
With Europe leading the world in efforts to reduce carbon emissions Volvo is looking to expand its LNG fleet across the continent, something that is supported politically by the EU.
While Australia has been slower to adopt LNG technology there is movement towards less reliance on fossil fuels that is likely to make alternatives like LNG increasingly appealing.
"Natural gas offers clear climate upsides, it competitively priced in many countries and there are sufficient reserves to justify large-scale use," Mårtensson says.
"Our focus on LNG vehicles is creating new prerequisites for our customers to run fuel-efficient and cost-efficient operations. At the same time, we’re making it possible for heavy truck operations to considerably reduce their climate impact."
Volvo FM LNG and FH LNG truck sales will begin next year.(www.chinatrucks.com)
- Dongfeng and Volvo Put their First VT14-Speed Transmission into Batch Production 2017-09-22
- News Volvo VNL Semi Trucks Have Numerous Self-Driving & Safety Features 2017-08-01
- Volvo Issues Upbeat Truck Forecast Heading into Fall 2017-07-19
- Volvo Invest US$10m to Opens New Dealership in Zambia 2017-07-04
- Volvo Tests Self-Driving Trucks in a Mine in Sweden 2017-06-23
- Self-steering Volvo Truck Set to Increase Brazil’s Sugar-cane Harvest 2017-06-20
- Volvo to Set Up Sh2.5bn Truck Assembly Plant in Kenya 2017-05-19
- Volvo Introduces Self-driving Garbage Truck 2017-05-19
- Daimler, Volvo Using India as an Export Hub for Its Trucks and Buses 2017-05-09
- Volvo’s New VNR Regional Haul Truck Debuts at ExpoCam 2017-05-03
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Volvo Introduces LNG Versions of FM and FH Trucks
- Gas Trucks boom in China as Government Curbs Diesel Trucks
- VW Teams Up with Navistar to Introduce Medium-Duty Electric Truck in 2019
- Sinotruk Orders Its First PowerPhase DT Electric-drive System from UQM
- Renault Trucks Stepping Up Presence in Iran
- Navistar Brings Electric Medium-Duty Truck in North America
- CNHTC with Its Strong Product Attended 1st Hong Kong International Auto Expo
- Daimler AG Ready To Bring Electric Trucks In India
- JAC Light-duty Trucks Show in Russian International Commercial Auto Show
- Sinotruk Proposes Reengineering Project to Strive for More Market Share
C&C Shows Off U550 Tractor at Shanghai Intermodal Asia
At the 4th Intermodal Asia, C&C Trucks, as the only manufacturer of heavy trucks at the Exhibition, brings two new tractor models U550 is among those on show, with advanced K13 engine and 6×4 wheel drive available
- China Sold 87,000 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in August
- Sales Volume of China’s Commercial Vehicles Reaches 293,000 Units in July
- Sales Volume of Tractors in June ,2017
- Heavy Truck Sales Expected to Pass 90,000 Mark in June
- Top 10 Sales for Light Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Sales Ranking for Medium Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Heavy Duty Truck Builders on the Market in May, 2017
- Natural Gas Truck Sees a Jump of 666% YoY in April
- Data Shows China Pickup Builders Move Further into Overseas Market
- Foton Stays in the First Place in April Light Truck Sales