Volvo Introduces LNG Versions of FM and FH Trucks
Liquid natural gas and biogas is being introduced to the latest Volvo trucks in order to bring them into line with Euro 6 compliance standards. Liquid natural gas and biogas is being introduced to the latest Volvo trucks in order to bring them into line with Euro 6 compliance standards.
Available in 420hp (313kW) and 460hp (343kW), the trucks are expected to result in 20-100 per cent lower CO2 emissions, depending on the choice of LNG or bio-LNG, according to the manufacturer.
The trucks are powered by gas engines utilising Diesel cycle technology, rather than the Otto cycle typically used for gas-powered vehicles.
The 460hp gas engine delivers maximum torque of 2300Nm, with the 420hp version giving 2100Nm.
Volvo director of environment and innovation Lars Mårtensson says both the climate and balance sheets will win with the new engines.
"We can now offer an alternative with low climate impact that also meets high demands on performance, fuel efficiency and operating range," Mårtensson says.
"This is a combination that our customers in regional and long haulage require."
Truck tanks are filled with LNG, with the biggest fuel tank variant containing enough LNG for a range of up to 1,000km.
The fuel is warmed up, pressurised and converted into gas while driving, before being injected into the engine. To ignite the gas a small amount of diesel is added at the moment of injection.
With Europe leading the world in efforts to reduce carbon emissions Volvo is looking to expand its LNG fleet across the continent, something that is supported politically by the EU.
While Australia has been slower to adopt LNG technology there is movement towards less reliance on fossil fuels that is likely to make alternatives like LNG increasingly appealing.
"Natural gas offers clear climate upsides, it competitively priced in many countries and there are sufficient reserves to justify large-scale use," Mårtensson says.
"Our focus on LNG vehicles is creating new prerequisites for our customers to run fuel-efficient and cost-efficient operations. At the same time, we’re making it possible for heavy truck operations to considerably reduce their climate impact."
Volvo FM LNG and FH LNG truck sales will begin next year.(www.chinatrucks.com)
- Volvo Group Upbeat on Chinese Market 2018-07-02
- Volvo Pushes Forward With Electric Trucks 2018-06-22
- First Volvo Hydrostatic Road Sweeper with Allison Transmission to Debut at IFAT 2018-05-23
- Volvo Unveils Second Electric Truck 2018-05-10
- Volvo to Share Electric Truck Battery Tech Across Its Brands 2018-04-24
- Volvo Launches All-Electric Truck Range in Europe 2018-04-13
- CEO of Geely-owned Volvo Loses Board Seat after Geely Buys Daimler 9.7% Stake 2018-03-02
- Volvo to Introduce Electric Trucks to Europe Next Year 2018-01-29
- Geely Takes 8.2% Stake in VOLVO Truck Company, Biggest Individual Shareholder 2017-12-28
- Volvo Introduces New VNL, VNR Tractors for Mexican Market 2017-11-22
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Next Generation of Hino 500 Series to Arrive in Australia
- Foton Motor Involved in Cave Rescue Mission in Chiang Rai, Thailand
- 60.218 Billion! XCMG Ranks the First among “China’s 500 Most Valuable Brands
- JMC Looks to Boost Aussie Dealer Network
- India’s First Lithium-ion Battery Project Set to Get Underway
- Volvo Group Upbeat on Chinese Market
- XCMG Turkey Co., Ltd. and Spare Parts Center Opened in Ankara
- XCMG E-commerce Platforms Revolutionize the Supply Chain and Industrial Ecology
- Shacman Initial Sales in Jamaica Outperform Expectations
- Volvo Pushes Forward With Electric Trucks
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- SAIC Hongyan Sold Over 40,000 Units Trucks from January to July
- Jiefang Heavy-duty Truck Sales Volume Reached 165,000 Units in H1 2018
- China's Commercial Vehicle Sales Reached 399,500 Units in June
- Truck Sales Exceeds Two Million Units in H1 2018
- JAC Hit Record High of 110,000 Units in Light-duty Truck Sales in H1,2018
- FAW Jiefang’s Medium-and Heavy-duty Truck Enjoys 20.9% YOY Growth in June
- Best-Selling Pickup Trucks in China--May 2018
- SAIC Hongyan Sold 559,800 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in January-May
- China Truck Makers Saw Strong Sales in May
- China Sold 162,414 Units Light Trucks in November