Tesla Unveils All-Electric Semi-Truck with 500-Mile Range
On Friday, Tesla unveiled its highly-anticipated Class 8 semi-electric truck, known as “BAMF Performance” to more than 1,000 Tesla passenger car owners, investors and potential customers. Back in September, Tesla CEO Elon Musk teased the truck, saying it would be “worth seeing this beast in person.” During the unveiling event, Tesla showed two version of the truck: A low-roof design and a highly streamlined “tall boy” version topped with aerodynamic fairing and featuring full-body fairings that covered the drive wheels to improve wind resistance. Both prototypes are day cabs.
The truck boasts a 500-mile electric range, can pull a gross weight of 80,000 pounds, and can go from zero to 60 mph in 20 seconds, which is about 40 seconds faster than a conventional diesel truck. While lengths under that range are generally considered regional, rather than a long-haul, the truck would satisfy many freight requirements. Nearly 80 percent of freight in the U.S. is moved less than 250 miles. The average length-of-haul in the trucking industry has dropped from about 800 miles 15 years ago to about 500 miles last year, according to the American Trucking Association.
The prototype of the truck is made almost entirely of CFRP. Trucks.com reports, however, that Tesla has not made a final decision on the materials to be used for production models. Tesla uses aluminum for most of the structural material in its cars, but could opt for a combination of aluminum and composites for the production truck in order to offset the weight of the battery pack.
Inside, the traditional trucker’s cab has been reinvented as well. Made with carbon fiber panels, the Tesla Semi’s cabin features a central driving position, with two screens flanking the steering wheel.
Over the past few years, the use of composites in semi-trucks and buses has grown significantly. One of the leaders in this space in Proterra, which recently set a world record for driving the longest distance ever traveled by an electric vehicle on a single charge – 1,102.2 miles. Proterra has noted in the past that it may branch out into electric trucks as well. (www.chinatrucks.com)
- Mercedes' Parent Company Launching an Electric Truck to Rival Tesla 2017-06-14
- Workhorse Electric Pickup to Competite with Tesla 2017-05-05
- Tesla to Reveal Its Electric Semi-truck in September 2017-04-20
- Volvo Demonstrates Self-driving-truck in Beijing 2017-11-21
- 2017’s 40,000th Vehicle Went off Production Line in SAIC Hongyan 2017-11-21
- Weichai Power Tech Innovation Center Starts Operation in Aschaffenburg 2017-11-21
- 10,000 Units Dong Feng Electric Vehicles to Start Operation in China 2017-11-20
- Jiefang J6P 8×4 Slag Truck with Ultra-short Wheelbase Put into Service 2017-11-20
- 600 Units Dongfeng Electric Logistics Vehicles Delivered to Ronghe Rental 2017-11-17
- 50 Units Sinotruk Fire-fighting Trucks Shipped to Ethiopia for Operation 2017-11-17
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- SINOTRUK Service Always Online
- XCMG Delivers 300 HANVAN Heavy-duty Trucks and Receives Another Orders for 600
- JAC Attends 2017 China(Macau) International Automobile Exposition with i5 and i6
- VW Wants to Fill the Roads with Electric Trucks and Buses
- Super Truck Loads U.S., China Energy Efficiency Cooperation
- Dayun Heavy-duty Truck on Exhibition at 122nd Canton Fair
- China Heavy Truck Continues to See Strong Sales
- Model Innovation Creates Brand Value, JAC and Volkswagen Cooperation Accelerates
- Deutsche Post DHL Partners with ZF to Deploy Self-driving Delivery Trucks
- Japan Introduces 25-meter Long ISUZU GIGA Full Trailers
C&C Shows Off U550 Tractor at Shanghai Intermodal Asia
At the 4th Intermodal Asia, C&C Trucks, as the only manufacturer of heavy trucks at the Exhibition, brings two new tractor models U550 is among those on show, with advanced K13 engine and 6×4 wheel drive available
- Lifan Ranks among the Top Medium Truck Sales in September
- Hongyan Ranks among the Top Heavy Trucks Sales in September
- China Sold 87,000 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in August
- Sales Volume of China’s Commercial Vehicles Reaches 293,000 Units in July
- Sales Volume of Tractors in June ,2017
- Heavy Truck Sales Expected to Pass 90,000 Mark in June
- Top 10 Sales for Light Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Sales Ranking for Medium Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Heavy Duty Truck Builders on the Market in May, 2017
- Natural Gas Truck Sees a Jump of 666% YoY in April