Tesla Unveils All-Electric Semi-Truck with 500-Mile Range
On Friday, Tesla unveiled its highly-anticipated Class 8 semi-electric truck, known as “BAMF Performance” to more than 1,000 Tesla passenger car owners, investors and potential customers. Back in September, Tesla CEO Elon Musk teased the truck, saying it would be “worth seeing this beast in person.” During the unveiling event, Tesla showed two version of the truck: A low-roof design and a highly streamlined “tall boy” version topped with aerodynamic fairing and featuring full-body fairings that covered the drive wheels to improve wind resistance. Both prototypes are day cabs.
The truck boasts a 500-mile electric range, can pull a gross weight of 80,000 pounds, and can go from zero to 60 mph in 20 seconds, which is about 40 seconds faster than a conventional diesel truck. While lengths under that range are generally considered regional, rather than a long-haul, the truck would satisfy many freight requirements. Nearly 80 percent of freight in the U.S. is moved less than 250 miles. The average length-of-haul in the trucking industry has dropped from about 800 miles 15 years ago to about 500 miles last year, according to the American Trucking Association.
The prototype of the truck is made almost entirely of CFRP. Trucks.com reports, however, that Tesla has not made a final decision on the materials to be used for production models. Tesla uses aluminum for most of the structural material in its cars, but could opt for a combination of aluminum and composites for the production truck in order to offset the weight of the battery pack.
Inside, the traditional trucker’s cab has been reinvented as well. Made with carbon fiber panels, the Tesla Semi’s cabin features a central driving position, with two screens flanking the steering wheel.
Over the past few years, the use of composites in semi-trucks and buses has grown significantly. One of the leaders in this space in Proterra, which recently set a world record for driving the longest distance ever traveled by an electric vehicle on a single charge – 1,102.2 miles. Proterra has noted in the past that it may branch out into electric trucks as well. (www.chinatrucks.com)
- Daimler Unveils Two Heavy-duty Electric Trucks in Race with Tesla 2018-06-08
- Tesla to Beat Its Own Record with an Even Bigger Powerpack Project in Austrilia 2018-01-11
- Tesla Pickup Truck Coming on the Heels of Tesla Model Y 2018-01-02
- Tesla Gets New 125 Semi Truck Order from UPS, Largest Public Pre-order Yet 2017-12-20
- Pepsi Placed Biggest Public Pre-order for 100 Tesla Semis 2017-12-14
- Mercedes' Parent Company Launching an Electric Truck to Rival Tesla 2017-06-14
- Workhorse Electric Pickup to Competite with Tesla 2017-05-05
- Tesla to Reveal Its Electric Semi-truck in September 2017-04-20
- Foton Forland Held its 2018 Mid-term Business Conference in Harbin 2018-08-15
- Foton Motor Launched Auman EST A in Malaysia 2018-08-13
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Next Generation of Hino 500 Series to Arrive in Australia
- Foton Motor Involved in Cave Rescue Mission in Chiang Rai, Thailand
- 60.218 Billion! XCMG Ranks the First among “China’s 500 Most Valuable Brands
- JMC Looks to Boost Aussie Dealer Network
- India’s First Lithium-ion Battery Project Set to Get Underway
- Volvo Group Upbeat on Chinese Market
- XCMG Turkey Co., Ltd. and Spare Parts Center Opened in Ankara
- XCMG E-commerce Platforms Revolutionize the Supply Chain and Industrial Ecology
- Shacman Initial Sales in Jamaica Outperform Expectations
- Volvo Pushes Forward With Electric Trucks
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- SAIC Hongyan Sold Over 40,000 Units Trucks from January to July
- Jiefang Heavy-duty Truck Sales Volume Reached 165,000 Units in H1 2018
- China's Commercial Vehicle Sales Reached 399,500 Units in June
- Truck Sales Exceeds Two Million Units in H1 2018
- JAC Hit Record High of 110,000 Units in Light-duty Truck Sales in H1,2018
- FAW Jiefang’s Medium-and Heavy-duty Truck Enjoys 20.9% YOY Growth in June
- Best-Selling Pickup Trucks in China--May 2018
- SAIC Hongyan Sold 559,800 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in January-May
- China Truck Makers Saw Strong Sales in May
- China Sold 162,414 Units Light Trucks in November