Tata Motors, M&M, Reva eye electric compact truck segment
(chinatrucks.com, Feb.08, 2010)Tata Motors, Mahindra & Mahindra, and Reva Electric Car Company are planning to launch electric trucks and passenger carriers in the sub-one-tonne segment.
The development in electric power-train technology triggers open a niche segment in commercial vehicles with at least three manufacturers foraying into the battery-run light truck/van market.
Tata Motors has developed an electric version of the Ace which could debut soon. M&M, likewise, is working on a variant for the recently launched 0.9-tonne Maxximo.
"We will come out with an electric version in 8-10 months, both in the cargo and passenger carrier space,"said Mr Rajan Wadhera, Chief of Engineering and Development, M&M. Mr Chetan Maini, Deputy Chairman and Chief Technology Officer, Reva, has said the company was ready with its commercial vehicle platforms and was in talks with local and global players.
With growing awareness on the harmful effects of air and noise pollution, the stage is set for electric vehicles even for short hauls. "Huge shopping and residential complexes as well as airports need such vehicles. We know this is going to be very competitive and we are preparing for it,"said Mr Wadhera.
It will be interesting to see if these electric options will grow the sub-one-tonne market, which does numbers of one lakh units annually. It could also get a share of 3.5 lakh-strong three-wheeler segment.
"We believe there is a market especially in the intra-city transport segment. The electric power-train can be expensive but the running cost is just a tenth of diesel vehicles,"said Mr R. Chandramauli, President, Sales and Marketing, Reva. However, he said that electric commercial vehicles will be sold at a premium to diesel variants.
- Tata and Ashok Leyland Among Top Competitors in Africa’s CV Market 2017-08-02
- Tata, Hyundai to Boost Sales of CV in Indonesia 2017-06-12
- CHTGC Cooperated With Tata Daewoo 2013-05-14
- Tata Motors sales up 58% 2010-03-02
- Tata Faces 'Heat' From Daimler, Volvo as India Paves Its Roads 2010-02-10
- Fiat Buys Zastava in Serbia 2010-01-06
- Tata eyes exports to Asean: Thai autos to ship to Malaysia, Indonesia 2009-11-26
- Assembly of Chinese Automobiles Might Resume in the Sverdlovsk Oblast 2009-07-13
- JLR launches new auto-parts center in Suzhou 2009-06-29
- Tata Motors FY09 net shrinks 51% on lower vehicle sales 2009-05-31
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- VW Wants to Fill the Roads with Electric Trucks and Buses
- Super Truck Loads U.S., China Energy Efficiency Cooperation
- Dayun Heavy-duty Truck on Exhibition at 122nd Canton Fair
- China Heavy Truck Continues to See Strong Sales
- Model Innovation Creates Brand Value, JAC and Volkswagen Cooperation Accelerates
- Deutsche Post DHL Partners with ZF to Deploy Self-driving Delivery Trucks
- Japan Introduces 25-meter Long ISUZU GIGA Full Trailers
- Volvo Introduces LNG Versions of FM and FH Trucks
- Gas Trucks boom in China as Government Curbs Diesel Trucks
- VW Teams Up with Navistar to Introduce Medium-Duty Electric Truck in 2019
C&C Shows Off U550 Tractor at Shanghai Intermodal Asia
At the 4th Intermodal Asia, C&C Trucks, as the only manufacturer of heavy trucks at the Exhibition, brings two new tractor models U550 is among those on show, with advanced K13 engine and 6×4 wheel drive available
- Lifan Ranks among the Top Medium Truck Sales in September
- Hongyan Ranks among the Top Heavy Trucks Sales in September
- China Sold 87,000 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in August
- Sales Volume of China’s Commercial Vehicles Reaches 293,000 Units in July
- Sales Volume of Tractors in June ,2017
- Heavy Truck Sales Expected to Pass 90,000 Mark in June
- Top 10 Sales for Light Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Sales Ranking for Medium Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Heavy Duty Truck Builders on the Market in May, 2017
- Natural Gas Truck Sees a Jump of 666% YoY in April