Cummins Reveals "Repower" Diesel Crate Engine Program at SEMA 2016
www.chinatrucks.com: Making its debut at the 2016 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show this morning was Cummins Repower, the new crate engine program designed for consumer auto and truck enthusiasts. The program’s first (and so far only) offering will be the Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel, an I-4 engine commonly used for Jeep projects.
Cummins Executive Director – Global Pickup/Van Business Jeff Caldwell said the decision to offer the R2.8 was made after seeing the immense demand for Cummins engines from the consumer aftermarket. “They want reliable power, and this segment of the aftermarket exists because there is no off-the-shelf vehicle that satisfies enthusiasts’ appetites for personalization,” Caldwell said.
According to the company, the R2.8 will come with 50-state emissions compliance, and the company is working with the California Air Resources Board to ensure the R2.8 has clear guidelines regarding which vehicles and vintages it can power. Electronically controlled high-pressure common-rail injection provides reliable and consistent power delivery, and the kit includes all necessary components to ease installation. Cummins says even novices can handle the kit, although we’d suggest rookies have a little help regardless.
The company claims that a Jeep Wrangler TJ with the R2.8 engine swap has improved torque ratings across the engine’s rev range, with fuel economy that’s doubled or even tripled compared to the stock engine. We believe that claim, as Cummins’ compact I-4 turbodiesel was lots of fun to drive in the Frontier prototype we sampled a few years ago.
The R2.8 will begin consumer sales early next year. What’s your ideal swap? Let us know in the comments.
- Foton Signs MOC with Cummins and Launches the Second Stage of China Super Truck 2017-10-19
- Super Truck Loads U.S., China Energy Efficiency Cooperation 2017-10-18
- Cummins’ Technological Leadership on Full Display at NACV 2017-09-26
- Cummins X15™ – Full Production, Full Success 2017-09-12
- Dongfeng Cummins New Generation ISZ Engine Successfully Ignited 2017-09-05
- Cummins Unveils New Fully-Electric Heavy Duty Truck ahead of Tesla 2017-08-31
- New Chenglong H7 with Cummins X12 Engine Launched 2017-08-18
- Cummins to Invest Rs 1,500 Crore in India R&D 2017-08-10
- How Cummins Lead in New and Emerging Technologies 2017-06-15
- Exclusive Interview with Cummins GM of Global Bus Business 2017-05-25
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- VW Wants to Fill the Roads with Electric Trucks and Buses
- Super Truck Loads U.S., China Energy Efficiency Cooperation
- Dayun Heavy-duty Truck on Exhibition at 122nd Canton Fair
- China Heavy Truck Continues to See Strong Sales
- Model Innovation Creates Brand Value, JAC and Volkswagen Cooperation Accelerates
- Deutsche Post DHL Partners with ZF to Deploy Self-driving Delivery Trucks
- Japan Introduces 25-meter Long ISUZU GIGA Full Trailers
- Volvo Introduces LNG Versions of FM and FH Trucks
- Gas Trucks boom in China as Government Curbs Diesel Trucks
- VW Teams Up with Navistar to Introduce Medium-Duty Electric Truck in 2019
C&C Shows Off U550 Tractor at Shanghai Intermodal Asia
At the 4th Intermodal Asia, C&C Trucks, as the only manufacturer of heavy trucks at the Exhibition, brings two new tractor models U550 is among those on show, with advanced K13 engine and 6×4 wheel drive available
- Lifan Ranks among the Top Medium Truck Sales in September
- Hongyan Ranks among the Top Heavy Trucks Sales in September
- China Sold 87,000 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in August
- Sales Volume of China’s Commercial Vehicles Reaches 293,000 Units in July
- Sales Volume of Tractors in June ,2017
- Heavy Truck Sales Expected to Pass 90,000 Mark in June
- Top 10 Sales for Light Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Sales Ranking for Medium Duty Truck in May, 2017
- Top 10 Heavy Duty Truck Builders on the Market in May, 2017
- Natural Gas Truck Sees a Jump of 666% YoY in April