News Volvo VNL Semi Trucks Have Numerous Self-Driving & Safety Features
www.chinatrucks.com: Volvo Trucks’ new “VNL” semi truck series brings with it a number of notable self-driving features and safety systems, going by what’s been revealed so far.
While long-haul truckers have long had access to relatively advanced aftermarket cruise control systems, the wide variety of features included in Volvo Trucks’ VNL semi truck series is still interesting — as it is very clear that the company is aiming towards the eventual release of fully autonomous trucks.
To be more specific, the new advanced driver assist systems (ADAS) suite includes adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking, amongst other features.
While I didn’t explicitly state so above, much of what’s interesting about this news is that the ADAS suite will come standard in the VNL series. Volvo Trucks claims to be the first OEM to offer the above-discussed features as standard equipment.
An analyst for Navigant Research by the name of Sam Abuelsamid commented on the news: “It’s good to see truck makers starting to make this technology more widely available since truck drivers might be more susceptible to the sort of accidents these systems protect against due to their long hours behind the wheel. Long-haul trucking is likely to be one of the first broad applications of automated driving technologies.”
The Verge provides more: “Indeed, there are widespread fears that autonomous technology will lead to enormous displacement among truck drivers. A recent study found that automated trucks could reduce the demand for drivers as much as 50% to 70% in the US and Europe by 2030, with 4.4 million of the 6.4 million professional drivers on both continents rendered obsolete.
“… But we’re not there yet. Volvo says its advanced driver assist system combines camera and radar sensors to detect metallic objects and vehicles that are stationary or vehicles braking in front of a truck. It also works with cruise control to help the truck driver maintain a safe distance behind other vehicles. If a forward vehicle slows down, Volvo semi-autonomous system will alert the driver and, if necessary, reduce throttle, apply the brake, and downshift the transmission.”
In related news, the self-driving semi truck startup Embark recently raised a lot of money in a Series A funding round, which will reportedly be used to bring its tech closer to commercial readiness.
- Volvo Posted Unexpected Profit in Q2 2020-07-24
- Volvo, Daimler to Form a Joint Venture for Large-scale Production of Fuel Cells 2020-04-24
- Volvo Trucks in North America Demonstrate Electric Heavy Duty Trucks 2020-02-13
- Volvo Develops Heavy-duty Electric Concept Trucks 2019-12-11
- Volvo Truck Delivers the 1,500th Truck to ZTO Express 2019-11-20
- Volvo Officials Visit Dongfeng Commercial Vehicle 2019-03-27
- First Electric Volvo Trucks Delivered to Customers 2019-02-27
- Volvo's Driverless Trucks Begin Working at a mine in Norway 2018-11-29
- Volvo FH Celebrates Its 25th Anniversary and Delivers the Millionth 2018-11-02
- Eicher Volvo JV to Set up Rs 400 cr Truck Plant in Bhopal, India 2018-10-09
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- BYD Starts Operating Its Battery Factory in Brazil
- Kenworth Produces Last Severe-Service K500 Cabover
- Dongfeng Starts Construction on Its New Factory in Shiyan
- LNG Truck Sales Expected to Reach 113 Thousand Units by End of 2020
- ZOOMLION Listed in China’s 500 Most Valuable Brands for 17 Consecutive Years
- ZOOMLION’s 38m Truck Mounted Pump for India Rolls off Assembly Line
- Foton Signed a Strategic Cooperation Framework Agreement with Weichai
- Foton's Brand Value Reached 168.592 Billion RMB
- JAC and VW Cooperation Process
- Hyundai Targets 15% of European Hydrogen Truck Market by 2030
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Chinese Heavy Truck Makers Set Higher Sales Targets for 2020
- JAC Truck Achieves 23,000 Units Sales in July, a 40.8% YoY Growth
- China’s Tractor Sales Saw Surging Growth in July
- Foton's July Truck Sales Seen Surging Growth
- China’s Heavy Truck Sales Hit New High in July
- Foton Overseas Sales Grow Against the Trend in H1, 2020
- China's Pickup Truck Output And Sales Went Up in June
- China’s Medium-size Trucks Sales Totalled 13,000 Units, Up 36.8% Year-on-Year
- Hongyan Tops the Dumper Sales List in June
- JAC Light Duty Truck Sales Exceeds 100 Thousands Units with 6% YoY Growth in H1