Volvo Introduces LNG Versions of FM and FH Trucks
Liquid natural gas and biogas is being introduced to the latest Volvo trucks in order to bring them into line with Euro 6 compliance standards. Liquid natural gas and biogas is being introduced to the latest Volvo trucks in order to bring them into line with Euro 6 compliance standards.
Available in 420hp (313kW) and 460hp (343kW), the trucks are expected to result in 20-100 per cent lower CO2 emissions, depending on the choice of LNG or bio-LNG, according to the manufacturer.
The trucks are powered by gas engines utilising Diesel cycle technology, rather than the Otto cycle typically used for gas-powered vehicles.
The 460hp gas engine delivers maximum torque of 2300Nm, with the 420hp version giving 2100Nm.
Volvo director of environment and innovation Lars Mårtensson says both the climate and balance sheets will win with the new engines.
"We can now offer an alternative with low climate impact that also meets high demands on performance, fuel efficiency and operating range," Mårtensson says.
"This is a combination that our customers in regional and long haulage require."
Truck tanks are filled with LNG, with the biggest fuel tank variant containing enough LNG for a range of up to 1,000km.
The fuel is warmed up, pressurised and converted into gas while driving, before being injected into the engine. To ignite the gas a small amount of diesel is added at the moment of injection.
With Europe leading the world in efforts to reduce carbon emissions Volvo is looking to expand its LNG fleet across the continent, something that is supported politically by the EU.
While Australia has been slower to adopt LNG technology there is movement towards less reliance on fossil fuels that is likely to make alternatives like LNG increasingly appealing.
"Natural gas offers clear climate upsides, it competitively priced in many countries and there are sufficient reserves to justify large-scale use," Mårtensson says.
"Our focus on LNG vehicles is creating new prerequisites for our customers to run fuel-efficient and cost-efficient operations. At the same time, we’re making it possible for heavy truck operations to considerably reduce their climate impact."
Volvo FM LNG and FH LNG truck sales will begin next year.(www.chinatrucks.com)
- Volvo Posted Unexpected Profit in Q2 2020-07-24
- Volvo, Daimler to Form a Joint Venture for Large-scale Production of Fuel Cells 2020-04-24
- Volvo Trucks in North America Demonstrate Electric Heavy Duty Trucks 2020-02-13
- Volvo Develops Heavy-duty Electric Concept Trucks 2019-12-11
- Volvo Truck Delivers the 1,500th Truck to ZTO Express 2019-11-20
- Volvo Officials Visit Dongfeng Commercial Vehicle 2019-03-27
- First Electric Volvo Trucks Delivered to Customers 2019-02-27
- Volvo's Driverless Trucks Begin Working at a mine in Norway 2018-11-29
- Volvo FH Celebrates Its 25th Anniversary and Delivers the Millionth 2018-11-02
- Eicher Volvo JV to Set up Rs 400 cr Truck Plant in Bhopal, India 2018-10-09
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- BYD Starts Operating Its Battery Factory in Brazil
- Kenworth Produces Last Severe-Service K500 Cabover
- Dongfeng Starts Construction on Its New Factory in Shiyan
- LNG Truck Sales Expected to Reach 113 Thousand Units by End of 2020
- ZOOMLION Listed in China’s 500 Most Valuable Brands for 17 Consecutive Years
- ZOOMLION’s 38m Truck Mounted Pump for India Rolls off Assembly Line
- Foton Signed a Strategic Cooperation Framework Agreement with Weichai
- Foton's Brand Value Reached 168.592 Billion RMB
- JAC and VW Cooperation Process
- Hyundai Targets 15% of European Hydrogen Truck Market by 2030
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Chinese Heavy Truck Makers Set Higher Sales Targets for 2020
- JAC Truck Achieves 23,000 Units Sales in July, a 40.8% YoY Growth
- China’s Tractor Sales Saw Surging Growth in July
- Foton's July Truck Sales Seen Surging Growth
- China’s Heavy Truck Sales Hit New High in July
- Foton Overseas Sales Grow Against the Trend in H1, 2020
- China's Pickup Truck Output And Sales Went Up in June
- China’s Medium-size Trucks Sales Totalled 13,000 Units, Up 36.8% Year-on-Year
- Hongyan Tops the Dumper Sales List in June
- JAC Light Duty Truck Sales Exceeds 100 Thousands Units with 6% YoY Growth in H1