Foton Trying to Break into Australian Truck Market
So far, all of the attempts by Chinese truck makers trying to break into this market, which is extremely competitive and dominated by three highly professional Japanese truck manufacturers Isuzu, Hino and Fuso, have not been successful. JAC Trucks came and went. Likewise, JMC trucks appeared for a short time then disappeared in a short few months.
Foton is now pushing its product in to the Australian truck market in its third attempt. The brand first appeared here over 10 years ago, imported by the company which was then also importing Western Star, MAN and Dennis Eagle. The brand reappeared a few years later under the Ateco umbrella, bringing in both small trucks and utes, but again, this was relatively short lived.
This latest entry to the market also has the advantage of being an up-to-date truck. The latest models have been specified to get a lot closer to their more established Japanese competitors.
The driver seat is firm but comfortable and there are a number of buttons on the steering wheel for cruise control, the entertainment system and the telephone via bluetooth. It is possible to connect the phone to the truck via bluetooth, an auxiliary socket and a USB. The USB socket is hidden behind something which looks like a button and this cover looks like it could be a little frail.
In terms of storage, the design is quite well served. The central seat folds down and on this is a document holder, two inadequate drinks holders and another small compartment. However, between this seat and the drivers’ seat, behind the gear stick, there is more storage and good drinks holders in a good position.
The display directly in front of the driver is actually quite well-designed with a very clear and crisp LCD screen in the middle telling the driver speed, distance etc. This is joined by a speedometer and tachometer on either side and an air gauge and fuel gauge above. The adblue gauge is integrated with the fuel gauge and this is lit up in a blue colour to differentiate it from the diesel level in the tank.
In terms of noise levels, this truck works quite well. It is relatively quiet while the engine note is quite strong, but this is a Cummins is after all.
Overall, the truck tested here appears to be very well finished. This is a lot better, in terms of overall manufacturers finish, than any other Chinese truck makers trying to break into this market and tested on the roads of Australia. It looks like the Foton organisation in China really want to have a genuine go at a long term presence in our market. On the strength of the product on offer and the overall packages being sold, it must be worth a look.
- Foton Partners TuSimple Pass China’s First Autonomous Driving Truck Fleet Test 2020-01-03
- Foton Forland Annual Sales Volume Reaches 220,000 Units 2019-12-26
- NEVC-Foton New Energy Intelligent Vehicle Lab Established in Weifang 2019-12-20
- Auman Super Truck All series AMT Models Launch in Chengdu 2019-12-09
- The 1,000,000th Unit Vehicle Connected to Foton Internet of Vehicle 2019-12-09
- Foton Reveals Brand New Medium Truck Ouhang in Chengdu 2019-12-06
- Foton Auman Serve the World 5G Conference 2019-11-22
- Foton Sets a Goal to Sell 200,000 New Energy Commercial Vehicles by 2025 2019-11-19
- Foton Launches its Factory Expansion Project in Changsha 2019-11-15
- Foton Daimler Delivers 130 Units Auman Port Vehicles to Customers in Guangzhou 2019-11-01
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- The Third China Heavy-duty Truck Bo’ao Forum Held in Hainan
- BYD Rolls Off Its New Energy Sanitation Vehicles in Changsha
- SHACMAN Industrial Park Starts Operation
- JAC and Huawei Signed a Comprehensive Cooperation Framework Agreement
- Dongfeng Commercial Vehicle Attends 2019 China Int'l Heavy-duty Truck Fair
- BYD, Anheuser-busch and Nikola Completes First Zero-emission Beer Delivery
- China's Heavy-duty Truck Sales Continue to Climb in November
- XCMG Signed a Strategic Cooperation Agreement with China Unicom on 5G
- Heavy-duty Trucks Sales Expected to Exceed One Million Units Annually
- FAW Jiefang’s New Production Base Starts Construction in Liuzhou
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Heavy Truck Sales in China Hit New Annual High in 2019
- China Sold 518,700 Units Tractors in November
- China Sold 102,000 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in November
- Dongfeng Medium and Heavy Truck Sales Reached 17,456 Units in November
- China Sold 357,000 Units Commercial Vehicles in October
- Sales of Pickups in Beijing Soared by 539% from January to September
- DFAC Jan-Oct Sales Reached 130,000 Units
- China Oct Heavy Truck Sales Reached 90,000 Units
- China Sold 302,000 Units Trucks in September
- Foton Sold 1,809 Units Heavy-duty Trucks in September