Scania to Start Making Trucks in China After Acquiring Nantong Gaokai
Swedish truck maker Scania, a unit under Volkswagen AG’s commercial vehicle arm Traton SE, has bought a truck company in China to start making vehicles for the first time in the world’s biggest auto market.
Scania acquired Nantong Gaokai based in China’s eastern city of Rugao, showed an official filing. The acquisition allows it to obtain a truck manufacturing licence in China.The move comes after Scania said it would invest in a battery assembly plant in Sweden as it explores future technologies.
Scania’s spokesman declined to comment on the time it will take to complete the manufacturing set-up, the planned capacity, or the models it plans to produce.
Nantong Gaokai was previously a unit under state-owned Jiangsu Gaokai Investment Development Group.
Jiangsu Gaokai did not respond to a request for comment.
Overall truck sales in China jumped 24% from January through October to 3.87 million vehicles, driven by government investment in infrastructure and as buyers upgraded to comply with tougher emissions rules.
Meanwhile, Chinese officials have been drafting new rules to make trucks cleaner, smarter and safer.
The market is largely dominated by local automakers including FAW Jiefang Group Co Ltd, Dongfeng Motor Group Co Ltd and Sinotruk Hong Kong Ltd, which offer more price-competitive vehicles.
All Scania trucks sold in China are imported and priced significantly higher than those of domestic rivals.
International truck makers including MAN SE and Volvo trucks have engine partnerships with Chinese companies.
Reuters previously reported Daimler AG’s plan to build Mercedes-Benz-branded trucks through its joint venture with Beiqi Foton Motor Co Ltd in Beijing.
- Scania’s Production Worldwide Completes Fossil-free Transition 2020-09-01
- Scania to Deliver 75 Battery Electric Trucks to ASKO in Norway 2020-05-27
- FULONGMA, Scania Launch 3rd-generation Compression Garbage Truck in Hong Kong 2020-04-10
- Scania Year-end Report January-December 2019 2020-03-25
- Scania Suspends Truck Production in Europe Over COVID-19 2020-03-20
- Scania Dedicated to Help Chinese Users Succeed in a Challenging Market 2020-01-15
- Scania Delivers Its 7000th Trucks in Hongkong 2019-11-22
- Scania Jining Repair Factory Starts Operation 2019-09-12
- Scania Expands Its Presence to Northeast China 2019-04-01
- Scania Unveiled an Entire Range of New Trucks in Thailand 2019-02-28
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Hyundai Reveals World’s First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Heavy-duty Truck at CIIE
- Daimler and Volvo Sign Binding Agreement to Form a Fuel-cell Joint Venture
- Dongfeng Special Vehicle Starts Building New Factory
- BAIC Foton Partners with AVIC MTI for Hydrogen-powered Vehicles Development
- Great Wall Set Up Auto Plant in Jingmen, Hubei Province
- BYD and HINO to Form a JV for Commercial Battery Electric Vehicles Development
- The 128th Edition of the Canton Fair Kicks Off Online
- FOTON NEV REPORT 2020.09
- FAW Jiefang Rolled Out New Self-driving Truck in China
- Auto China 2020 to be Held Between September 26- October 5 in Beijing
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- China’s Sales Volume of Light Trucks Reached 203,400 Units in October
- China Recorded 129,000 Heavy-duty Truck Sales in Ocotber
- JAC Sold 185,025 Units Light Trucks from January to October
- Dongfeng, SHACMAN and Hongyan Ranked Top Three in Dumper Sales
- Q1 to Q3 LNG/CNG Truck Sales Surpass Whole of Last Year
- Foton Tops Light Truck Sales with 40 Thousand Units Sold in Sept.
- Tractor Sales Continue to Rise with 150,600 Units Sold in Sept.
- Heavy-duty Truck Sales Hit Record High of 136,000 Units in Sept.
- FAW Jiefang Place First with 32,500 Heavy-duty Trucks Sold in Sep., Up 54% YOY
- Hongyan Again be on the Top of the Dumper Sales in August