IVECO, FPT Industrial and Nikola Unveil All-electric Nikola TRE
IVECO and Nikola unveiled the maquette of their first battery electric vehicle (BEV) for European markets, the Nikola TRE – just three months after the announcement of the partnership.
The battery electric Nikola TRE, which is based on the IVECO S-WAY and integrates Nikola’s class-leading technology, will be launched at the IAA 2020 commercial vehicle exhibition in Hannover, Germany, with the first units reaching customers in 2021.
The Nikola TRE is the first step on the path towards the Nikola fuel cell electric model (FCEV), which will be available to customers by 2023.
IVECO, FPT Industrial and Nikola unveiled the maquette of the Nikola TRE, the first vehicle resulting from the joint venture between CNH Industrial and Nikola, which involves the commercial vehicle brand and the powertrain specialist.
The vehicle is based on the IVECO S-WAY heavy-duty truck launched last July in Madrid, which has been extremely well received by customers and industry experts alike. The Nikola TRE integrates Nikola’s advanced electric technology and new-generation proprietary infotainment system.
The integration of the Nikola design on the IVECO S-WAY has been jointly carried out by Nikola and Italdesign - in its Head Quarters in Moncalieri (Turin). The design integration is a natural consequence of a partnership dating back to 2018 between the two companies, that already output the making of the first maquette of NIKOLA TRE, unveiled in Scottsdale, Arizona, United States, during the NIKOLA World Event in April 2019.
Gerrit Marx, President Commercial and Specialty Vehicles, stated: “The IVECO S-WAY is a stand-out product, which embodies IVECO’s concept of customer-centricity and has already gained momentum in the markets with well-deserved success. It is the bones of the Nikola TRE and marks the beginning of a new journey towards zero-emissions trucking, providing the platform for us to introduce disruptive features that will change the transport industry.”
The battery electric Nikola TRE: zero-emission regional transport
The vehicle displayed at the event is a maquette of the Nikola TRE 4x2 tractor for regional missions, with a range of up to 400 km and dynamic performanceequal or better than a diesel equivalent model.
The vehicle will feature a modular battery system with a total capacity of up to 720 kWh, which can be tailored to match different customers’ missions. The electric driveline will deliver 480 kW Continuous Power Output with 1,800 Nm Peak Torque.
The Nikola TRE will also be available in 2- and 3-axle rigid versions, with GVW ranging from 18 to 26 tonnes for urban distribution and municipality missions.
New-generation proprietary infotainment and navigation system
The Nikola TRE will feature a new infotainment system based on Nikola’s proprietary operating system that integrates infotainment and navigation functions, as well as controls for the bulk of the vehicle’s functionalities. The system’s features include climate control, mirror adjustment, suspension height adjustment, 360-degree camera system, navigation, Bluetooth audio system, comprehensive vehicle settings and admin vehicle diagnostics.
The vehicle leverages Bluetooth low energy technology to create a secure link between the vehicle and the customer’s mobile device, creating a truly hands-free media experience. This also enables a smart keyless entry system to unlock as the driver approaches the vehicle. The system can even adjust settings such as ride height and climate temperature to driver preference.
The bridge to fuel-cell electric heavy-duty trucking
IVECO, FPT Industrial and Nikola have adopted a modular approach in developing their electric offering for the European market, which is unique in the industry. Nikola’s fuel cell will be the starting point for the design of the electric battery, so that the Nikola TRE Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) can be converted to fuel-cell technology. With this approach, the partners are taking the long view, bringing both technologies on stream now to pursue BEV and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) in their offering in the next few years.
This approach enables the partners to launch the Nikola TRE at the IAA 2020 exhibition and Nikola World 2020, delivering the first units to customers in 2021, while the FCEV will be available to customers by 2023.
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Chery Rolls Off Its New Energy Mining Truck in Erdos
- FAW Jiefang Put into Operation Its J7 Smart Vehicle Plant
- JAC Kazakhstan Plant Rolls Off Its 40,000th Vehicle in 2021
- SANY Factory Certified as World’s First Lighthouse Factory in Heavy Machinery
- FAW Jiefang and ZOOMLION Continue to Deepen Their Strategic Partnership
- SAIC Light Truck EH500 Electric Sanitation Vehicle Obtains EU Certificate
- 30 Days Countdown to CIIE, Volvo Group Announces Participation in the Expo
- SANY to Attend the Second China-Africa Economic and Trade Expo
- BYD Introduces Next Generation Electric Trucks at ACT Expo
- FULONGMA Ranked in Top 50 Environmental Enterprises in China
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Top Ten Sales in New Energy Light-duty Trucks in October
- Top 10 Export Markets for Chinese Trucks in JAN.-SEP. 2021
- Top Ten New Energy Heavy-duty Truck Brands
- Top Ten Sales in New Energy Light-duty Trucks in September
- China Top 10 Tractor Head Performers in September
- Top Ten Sales in Heavy-duty Truck Market in September
- Light-duty Truck Sales Increased by More Than 30 Percent MOM in September
- JMC Pickup Sales Went Up by 13% YOY From January to September
- Sales Revenue Doubles in 50 Countries: SANY’s Internationalization Acceleratin
- SAIC Maxus' Sales Volume for Sep. Reached Record 17,684 Units, Up 25% YOY