Daimler to Revamp China Plant to Make Mercedes-Benz-branded Actros Truck
Germany’s Daimler AG and its China commercial vehicle partner Beiqi Foton Motor Co plan to invest 2.75 billion yuan ($415.32 million) to build Mercedes-Benz-branded Actros heavy trucks for the first time in China, a document showed.
The partners plan to revamp plants at their joint venture Beijing Foton Daimler Automotive (BFDA) in China’s capital Beijing and add a production line, giving the plant a capacity of 50,000 Actros trucks a year, according to the construction document posted on the venture’s website.
A source familiar with the matter said the companies plan to embark on the revamp next year.
Foton had no comment and Daimler did not immediately respond to Reuters queries about the project.
Shares in Foton jumped by their maximum 10% daily limit and were headed for their best day since Oct. 13 after the Reuters report.
All Mercedes-Benz trucks currently sold in China are imported and priced significantly higher than the venture’s domestically made Auman trucks.
The truck joint venture sold 111,788 Auman trucks, which have Daimler’s technology input, in the first 10 months this year, up 55% from same period last year.
Reuters reported the expansion plan in August last year. Sources familiar with the matter later said the progress was slow, citing product and supply chain planning, regulation approvals and the impact from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Daimler said in 2016 it planned to make Actros trucks in China by the end of the decade but has not since publicly given updates.
Daimler, which has a passenger car joint venture with Foton’s parent BAIC Group, sold around 700,000 passenger cars in China last year. Its chief executive said last month China will remain Mercedes-Benz’s biggest growth market in the next decade and it will adjust production locations to capture shifts in demand.
Overall truck sales in China, the world’s biggest auto market, jumped 24% between January and October to 3.87 million units, driven by government investment in infrastructure and as buyers upgraded to comply with tougher emissions rules.
But the market is largely dominated by local companies including FAW’s Jiefang, Dongfeng Motor and Sinotruk, which offer more price-competitive products.
International truck makers including MAN SE and Volvo trucks have engine partnerships with local companies.
- Daimler Truck AG and Cummins Inc.Announce Global Plan for Medium-duty CV Engines 2021-02-24
- Daimler Plans Separation into Two Pure-play Companies 2021-02-04
- Daimler and Volvo Sign Binding Agreement to Form a Fuel-cell Joint Venture 2020-11-03
- Mercedes-Benz Access to New Target markets with Actros F and Edition 2 2020-09-29
- Daimler Unveils GenH2 Hydrogen Fuel-cell Concept Truck 2020-09-23
- Daimler Presents ‘GenH2' Mercedes-Benz Fuel-Cell Concept Truck 2020-09-18
- Volvo, Daimler to Form a Joint Venture for Large-scale Production of Fuel Cells 2020-04-24
- Daimler Trucks' Next EV will be a Garbage Truck 2020-02-04
- Daimler Brings its Latest Products on Display at CIIE 2019-11-08
- Foton Daimler Delivers 130 Units Auman Port Vehicles to Customers in Guangzhou 2019-11-01
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- BYD Introduces Next Generation Electric Trucks at ACT Expo
- FULONGMA Ranked in Top 50 Environmental Enterprises in China
- Volvo Trucks Acquires Heavy-duty Truck Manufacturing Operation in China
- SANY Opens a New Branch in Scotland
- Daimler and Cummins Signed GFA for Cooperation in Medium-duty Engines
- FAW Jiefang Rolls Off Its 8 Millionth Vehicle
- A New Truck for a New Era: Mercedes-Benz eActros Celebrates Its World Premiere
- ZOOMLION Looks to Expand the EU Market with Its New Factory Inaugurated
- CIMC Teams up with Shaanxi Automobile to Make a Flagship High-end SPV
- JAC Exhibited In Kazakhstan Auto Show
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Weichai Power 2021 Interim Performance in A Glimpse
- SHACMAN Tops the List of the Dumper Sales in July
- Top Ten Tractor Manufacturing Companies in China in July
- Light Truck Sales in the First Seven Months Reached 1300,000 Units
- GWM Sold 91,555 Vehicles Worldwide in July, up 16.9% Year-on-Year
- China Sold 1.044 Million Units Heavy-duty Trucks from January to June
- Geely Yuan Cheng Reports 626% Rise in H1, 2021
- Foton January to June Sales Volume 411,962 Units,YOY 28.67 %
- China Truck Export Jumped by 133% from January to May
- Foton Overseas Sales Volume Breaks 30,000 Units in H1, Up 67.7% YOY