Robin Zeng:Make a Successful EV Transition through Innovation and Sustainability
As an essential part of decarbonizing the automotive ecosystem, EV transition requires technological innovation, a sustainable and responsible supply chain and the concerted efforts of all stakeholders, said Dr. Robin Zeng, chairman and general manager of CATL at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2024 in Davos, Switzerland.
During the session “Rolling out EVs: A Marathon or a Sprint?” held on Jan 18, Dr. Zeng said innovation in battery technology is central to helping the world transition towards a clean energy future. CATL remains focused on providing long range electric driving options for consumers, and is continuously innovating to achieve greater results. “We launched the condensed battery with an energy density of 500 Wh/kg, a 70 or 80 percent increase over current NCM batteries. We are focused on the aviation applications for condensed batteries, and as production scales up, we can reduce the cost and use the battery in cars, too.”
Battery technology breakthroughs enable business model innovation and therefore a sustainable EV transition with multiple applications. In the V2G (Vehicle to Grid) scenario, an EV battery can also be a distributed mobile energy storage unit, enabling EV owners to make a profit by charging during off-peak hours and selling electricity to the power grid during peak hours. “You do not need to drive your car and the car will make money for you. But it requires longer cycle life for the batteries. To meet this demand, we have developed battery technology for a cycle life of 18,000 cycles,” said Dr. Zeng.
A sustainable supply chain is also essential for a successful transition to e-mobility. In April 2023, CATL announced a plan to achieve carbon neutrality in all its battery manufacturing facilities by 2025 and across its battery supply chain by 2035. Dr. Zeng mentioned the difficulty of achieving this goal and emphasized the role of renewable energy in the supply chain. “That’s why when we are selecting suppliers, we are always asking them ‘where are you located’ and ‘do you have green energy’ etc.,’’ said Dr. Zeng at the panel.
The integrity of the supply chain is critical for a just EV transition. Dr. Zeng said that through the battery passport program, which was unveiled by the Global Battery Alliance during last year’s meeting in Davos, people can trace the data of a battery’s whole lifecycle by simply scanning a QR code. A battery passport is a transparent enabler across the supply chain that can effectively facilitate battery recycling management, cross-border trade and battery circularity, further promoting global EV transition.
EV transition will require efforts from all parts of society, from government leaders to businesses to NGOs and even consumers themselves, according to Dr. Zeng. “For example, the governments should support battery recycling by allowing qualified technology companies rather than small workshops to refurbish and recycle batteries.”
- CATL's Shenxing Battery Wins the AUTOBEST 2024 Award 2023-12-26
- CATL’s Guiyang Plant Starts Operation 2023-11-17
- CATL's German Plant to Ramp up Its Production 2023-02-06
- CATL Announced Its Plan to Set up a Chassis Plant in Yichun 2023-01-31
- Qilin Battery Was Recognized as One of the Best Inventions of 2022 by TIME 2023-01-04
- CATL Inks 7.5 GWh Battery Supply Deal with Gresham House 2022-12-26
- CATL’s Battery Industrial Base Broke Ground in Shandong 2022-12-26
- CATL's German Plant Starts Serial Production of Lithium-ion Battery Cells 2022-12-22
- CATL, FOTON to Form Joint Venture for Battery Leasing Business 2022-12-09
- CATL Collaborates with VinFast to Promote Global E-mobility 2022-11-01
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- FOTON Motor: NEV Penetration Rate to Exceed 80% by 2050
- SINOTRUK Invests More in Uzbekistan
- Sale of the New MAN eTruck Starts
- Scania Adds Powertrain Production to Its Production Base in Rugao, China
- FOTON and Piaggio Group Extend Their Partnership to Electric Light CVs
- Notice of Office Closure During National Day Holiday
- SANY Attends Construction Indonesia 2023
- SANY's Vietnam Subsidiary Grandly Opened in Hanoi
- XCMG Leads the Way in Sustainable Manufacturing
- 2023 Global Energy Transition High-level Forum Opened in Beijing
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- China Exported 507,000 Trucks from Jan.-Sept., Up 21% YoY
- China Exported 65,000 Trucks in July, Up 17% YoY
- Half Year Review of Commercial Vehicle Sales
- China Exported 63,000 Trucks in May, Up 33% YoY
- Top 10 Best-selling Battery-swapping Heavy Trucks in China in April
- China Exported 158,000 Trucks in Q1, Up 41% YoY
- China’s Truck Exports Grew by 43.8% YoY to 46600 Units in Feb., 2023
- China’s Heavy Truck Sales Rising 29% YOY to 77200 in Feb
- China Exports 567,000 Trucks in 2022, Hitting a New High in a Decade
- China’s Pickup Exports Jumped 65% YOY in 2022