CATL Set to Open Battery Plant in Germany
Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. is nearing a decision to build a battery factory in Germany, planting a flag on the home turf of car giants Volkswagen AG, Daimler AG and BMW AG as part of a major push into Europe, according to people familiar with the matter.
China’s biggest maker of battery cells for electric autos is considering a site in the state of Thuringia for the plant, said the people, who asked not to be identified as the deliberations are private. It’s also exploring possible locations in Poland and at least one other country in Europe, and might still opt to set up shop there eventually, they said.
A representative for CATL, as the company is known, declined to comment.
CATL plans to sell 10 percent of its stock in an initial public offering to finance expansion beyond its homeland of China. The country has become the world’s leading market for battery-powered cars with policies favoring those models over gasoline or diesel cars, part of government efforts to cut its cities’ extreme levels of air pollution.
By 2040, 55% of new cars sold will be electrified
Based in the southeastern port city of Ningde, CATL been considering starting production in Europe since early this year. There’s a vacuum in the region, where auto-parts makers have been reluctant to allocate the significant funds needed to challenge dominant Asian producers Samsung SDI Co., LG Chem Ltd. and Panasonic Corp. Robert Bosch GmbH decided about three months ago against making battery cells, citing costs exceeding 20 billion euros ($23.5 billion).
Daimler is in talks with CATL over a possible supply deal in Europe, Sabine Angermann, a procurement executive at the German parent of the Mercedes-Benz brand, told reporters last month. CATL counts automakers including Volkswagen, BMW , Nissan Motor Co. and Hyundai Motor Co. as customers.
A German battery plant could help ease an expected workforce shake-up in the country’s automotive industry that the IG Metall labor union highlighted this week. Producing electrified vehicles is likely to add 25,000 jobs by 2030, though another 75,000 positions in engine and transmission making are likely to disappear, the labor group said in a report Tuesday. (www.chinatrucks.com)
- CATL and BASF Signed Agreement to Accelerate Achieving Global Carbon Neutrality 2021-09-23
- CATL’s New Power Battery Project Starts Construction in Sichuan 2019-12-30
- CATL's First Overseas Plant Starts Construction in Germany 2019-10-23
- CATL to Supply Batteries for Daimler Electric Trucks 2019-09-23
- Battery Maker CATL to Ramp up Its Output Capacity in Germany 2019-02-28
- CATL Set to Increase Annual Battery Capacity to 50GWh by 2020 2018-06-27
- CATL & BYD Rise to Enter Top 3 Global Battery Makers 2018-06-08
- Chinese Battery Maker CATL Opens a Sales Office in Japan 2018-05-30
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- BYD Introduces Next Generation Electric Trucks at ACT Expo
- FULONGMA Ranked in Top 50 Environmental Enterprises in China
- Volvo Trucks Acquires Heavy-duty Truck Manufacturing Operation in China
- SANY Opens a New Branch in Scotland
- Daimler and Cummins Signed GFA for Cooperation in Medium-duty Engines
- FAW Jiefang Rolls Off Its 8 Millionth Vehicle
- A New Truck for a New Era: Mercedes-Benz eActros Celebrates Its World Premiere
- ZOOMLION Looks to Expand the EU Market with Its New Factory Inaugurated
- CIMC Teams up with Shaanxi Automobile to Make a Flagship High-end SPV
- JAC Exhibited In Kazakhstan Auto Show
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Weichai Power 2021 Interim Performance in A Glimpse
- SHACMAN Tops the List of the Dumper Sales in July
- Top Ten Tractor Manufacturing Companies in China in July
- Light Truck Sales in the First Seven Months Reached 1300,000 Units
- GWM Sold 91,555 Vehicles Worldwide in July, up 16.9% Year-on-Year
- China Sold 1.044 Million Units Heavy-duty Trucks from January to June
- Geely Yuan Cheng Reports 626% Rise in H1, 2021
- Foton January to June Sales Volume 411,962 Units,YOY 28.67 %
- China Truck Export Jumped by 133% from January to May
- Foton Overseas Sales Volume Breaks 30,000 Units in H1, Up 67.7% YOY