China's CATL to Build Its Second Battery Plant in Europe
HUNGARY -- On August 12, 2022, Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL) officially announced it will invest 7.34 billion euros to build a 100 GWh battery plant in Debrecen of east Hungary, which is also its second battery plant in Europe following its German plant. Subject to the shareholder meeting approval, construction of the first production facilities will start within this year.
Covering an area of 221 hectares in the Southern Industrial Park of Debrecen, the project will supply both cells and modules to European automakers.
Debrecen is located at the heart of Europe, and with close proximity to some auto plants of its customers such as Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Stellantis and Volkswagen, CATL’s Debrecen plant will enable it to better cope with the battery demands of the European market, improve its global production network development, and help accelerate e-mobility and energy transition in Europe.
As part of its commitment to reducing the carbon footprint in battery manufacturing, CATL will use electricity from renewable energies, and is considering developing solar power with local partners in the country.
To build a sustainable and circular battery value chain, CATL is also examining the possibility of joining forces with local partners to establish facilities for battery materials in Europe.
“There is no doubt that our plant in Debrecen will enable us to further sharpen our competitive edge, better respond to our European customers, and accelerate the transition to e-mobility in Europe,” said Dr. Robin Zeng, founder and Chairman of CATL. “The greenfield project in Hungary will be a giant leap in CATL’s global expansion, and also an important step in our efforts to make an outstanding contribution to the green energy drive for humankind.”
Péter Szijjártó, Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, said: “Both the global and the European economies have been faced with tremendous challenges recently. We in Hungary have a clear goal to be a local exception from the continental recession. The best tool to achieve this goal is to attract state-of-the-art investments in the most revolutionary branch of the automotive industry, namely electromobility. We are proud that CATL decided to execute the biggest ever greenfield investment in the history of Hungary. We have recently become one of the leading battery production sites of the world and with this huge investment we further strengthen our position.”
The new project was well received from CATL’s European customers. Markus Schäfer, Member of the Board of Management of Mercedes-Benz Group AG, CTO responsible for development and procurement, said: “This new state-of-the art European CATL plant in Hungary is another milestone for the scale-up of our EV production together with our key partners. With CATL we have a technology-leader as our partner to provide us - as the first and biggest customer of the new plant’s initial capacity - with top-notch CO2 neutral battery cells for our next generation EVs in Europe, hence following our local-to-local approach in procurement. We’re proud to see our Ambition 2039 supported by CATL’s commitment to CO2 neutral production in Hungary.”
- CATL Extends Partnership with Yutong for Another 10 Years 2022-08-10
- CATL and Ford Announce Global Strategic Cooperation to Promote EVs Worldwide 2022-07-22
- CATL Unveils New Qilin Battery with a Range of 1,000 Km on a single charge 2022-06-24
- SANY Kept Driving Construction Machinery Towards Electrification 2022-04-27
- CATL Partners with Indonesia to Boost E-mobility with $6B in Investment 2022-04-19
- CATL Announces Strategic EV Battery Partnership with Lightning eMotors 2021-12-15
- CATL-Beiben Agree to Continue Working to Deepen Cooperation 2021-10-28
- What Makes CAMC's Battery-swapping Tractor a Superstar in NEV Market 2022-08-16
- GEELY, Yuexiu Reached a ¥3 Billion Cooperation on Battery Swapping Heavy Trucks 2022-08-15
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- FAW Jiefang Forms a New Energy Vehicle Joint Venture with Battery Giant CATL
- 2022 Discovery & Trust Truck Users Survey Campaign Starts
- What Makes CAMC's Battery-swapping Tractor a Superstar in NEV Market
- GEELY, Yuexiu Reached a ¥3 Billion Cooperation on Battery Swapping Heavy Trucks
- SANY and Pony.ai Form Joint Venture to Mass Produce Autonomous Trucks
- FULONGMA's Electric Garbage Truck Debuts at Indonesian PEVS
- SHACMAN Attends the 34th Mobil Delvac Truck Field Race in Colombia
- BYD Makes Its Debut on the Fortune Global 500 List for 2022
- Argentine Ambassador to China Niu Wangdao Paid a Visit to SHACMAN
- Hanma Tech to Stop Production of Traditional Fuel Vehicles by 2025
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- China's Pickup Truck Sales Went Up 19% in June
- China's Truck Exports Grew by 29% YOY to 220,789 Units in H1, 2022
- Sales of New Energy Dump Trucks Jump 476% YoY in First Five Months
- Overall Sales of SACI MAXUS in the First Six Months Hit 81,000 Units
- JMC Saw 61.09% Increase in Exports in the first half of 2022
- Total Chinese Heavy-duty Truck Market for June 2022 Reached 53000 Units
- SAIC MAXUS Sold a Total of 12,557 Vehicles in May
- Sales of New Energy Dumpers Rise by 325.9% in April of 2022
- New Energy Truck Sales Rose by 528% YOY in January to April
- China's Truck Export Rose by 23% YOY to 36272 Units in January to April