Volvo Introduces Self-driving Garbage Truck
Volvo's had an autonomous truck operating in a Swedish mine since 2016. Now, the same technology that powers that truck will go toward creating a self-driving garbage truck.
Volvo announced that it's working with Renova, a Swedish waste management company, to develop and deploy an autonomous garbage truck. It should be a proper workout for Volvo's self-driving tech, given the vehicle's size versus the narrow, busy streets it must move through.
Its truck is first driven through an area manually, so its sensors and GPS can map the route. Upon returning to that area, the truck will know where to go and how often to stop. At that point, the operator can switch the truck to autonomous mode and climb out back to put garbage in the truck, like usual.
After dumping garbage into the truck, the operator issues a command and the truck drives itself to the next bin, with the operator following along. The truck will reverse from spot to spot, instead of driving forward, using sensors to bring the truck to a stop if it detects any sort of obstacle.
Reversing down the street isn't ideal in every situation, and Volvo is working on a solution for that. But the company claims the truck is safe while driving in any direction, since its sensors and cameras cover a 360-degree area around the truck.
The hope is that the truck will be able to reduce operator strain from constantly moving between cab and compactor. The system is built to optimize steering, speed and gear changes, so it can also help reduce fuel consumption and overall tailpipe emissions. For now, this remains a pilot project, running until the end of 2017. It may still be years away from completion, but it's an important step in moving autonomous technology beyond passenger cars.
- Volvo to Set Up Sh2.5bn Truck Assembly Plant in Kenya 2017-05-19
- Daimler, Volvo Using India as an Export Hub for Its Trucks and Buses 2017-05-09
- Volvo’s New VNR Regional Haul Truck Debuts at ExpoCam 2017-05-03
- Volvo Trucks to Launch Regional VNR Model 2017-04-17
- Volvo Boosts Uptime Support via Partnering with Geotab 2017-04-10
- Volvo CEO Visits Dongfeng: To Establish JV for Building Splendid Dongfeng Truck 2017-03-22
- Apricot Yellow Volvo FH500 Tractor Delivers to China 2016-02-18
- The Fourth Batch of 20 Volvo Heavy-duty Trucks Successfully Delivered to Quanfeng Group 2015-10-30
- Volvo Trucks Launches a Unique Combination of Steering System and Front Suspension 2015-10-09
- Volvo Trucks Does Reality TV: Artist Mapei Tests Life on the Road 2015-06-10
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Mercedes-Benz Sets to Shine at the Brisbane Truck Show
- Mitsubishi, Toyota and Mazda Scramble to Fill Truck Gap
- BAIC Group Exhibits at Zimbabwe International Trade Fair
- Heavy-Duty Truck Going Electric and Expects Growth in Near Future
- Philippine TMA eyeing first Truck & Bus Show in 2017
- XCMG Chairman Wang Min Attended 2017 Summit of China Manufacturing
- MIIT Leaders Pay a Visit to XCMG Europe
- Developing Countries' Inspection Delegation Visits Sinotruck
- JAC International Distributors Annual Conference 2017 was held grandly in Suzhou
- Brand Upgrading: JAC Announces Bold New Branding Strategy at Annual Conference
C&C Shows Off U550 Tractor at Shanghai Intermodal Asia
At the 4th Intermodal Asia, C&C Trucks, as the only manufacturer of heavy trucks at the Exhibition, brings two new tractor models U550 is among those on show, with advanced K13 engine and 6×4 wheel drive available
- Foton Stays in the First Place in April Light Truck Sales
- Top Ten Rankings for Medium Trucks in April, 2017
- FAW Jiefang Takes a Narrow Lead in Heavy Truck Segment in April
- CV Builders Enjoys Record Sales in March, 2017
- CAAM: 284,000 Heavy Trucks Sold in Q1
- Lifan Ranks No.1 by 270% Year-on-Year Growth in Medium Truck Market
- 8 Heavy Truck Builders See Over 100% Rise in February, 2017
- Tractors Saw a 234.36% Jump Year-on-Year in February 2017
- Light Truck Gets a Strong Rebound, Increasing by 40% Year on Year
- FAW Has the Highest Growth among Top 10 CV Company in January