Daimler Unveils GenH2 Hydrogen Fuel-cell Concept Truck
Daimler Trucks unveiled an all-new Mercedes-Benz GenH2 Truck hydrogen fuel-cell concept truck, which is envisioned for flexible and demanding long-haul transport.
It's expected to have a range of up to 1,000 km (620 miles) using 80 kg of liquid hydrogen, stored in two stainless-steel tanks (40 kg each). Daimler explains: the stainless-steel tank system consists of two tubes, one within the other, that are connected to each other and vacuum-insulated.
The use of liquid hydrogen, instead of gaseous hydrogen, is crucial according to the manufacturer as it increases the overall energy density (smaller and lighter tanks) and allows for more range. On the other hand, Daimler needs to figure out how to commercially store liquid hydrogen in a mobile application at very low temperatures (in a stationary application is could be as low as -253°C).
"Daimler Trucks is currently pressing ahead with the development of the necessary tank-system technologies to make liquid hydrogen usable also in mobile applications as an energy source for series-produced fuel-cell trucks. The storage of cryogenic liquid hydrogen at -253 degrees Celsius is already common practice in stationary applications, for example in industry or at hydrogen filling stations. This also applies to the transport of liquid hydrogen as cargo."
Customer trials of the Mercedes-Benz GenH2 Truck are expected in 2023, while the start of series production is promised in the second half of this decade (2025-2028 according to the presentation).
The hydrogen fuel cell system is ready for 300 kW of power (2x 150 kW), but because it might not be enough for two 330 kW motors (total 660 kW), there is also an auxiliary 70 kWh battery pack. It can provide an additional 400 kW for short periods of times, take care of regenerative braking and most importantly, be used to keep the fuel cell stack at an optimum stable output level.
For the applications where the required range is not as high, the company plans to offer Mercedes-Benz eActros LongHaul (more on that in a separate post).
Mercedes-Benz GenH2 Truck specs:
range of up to 1,000 km (620 miles)
80 kg (2x 40 kg) of liquid hydrogen
300 kW of hydrogen fuel cells power output (2x 150 kW)
70 kWh battery with temporary power output of up to 400 kW
two electric motors
continuous output of 2x 230 kW and 2x 1,577 Nm of torque
peak output of 660 kW (2x 330 kW) and 2x 2,071 Nm of torque
target gross weight of 40 tons (25 tons of payload)
- Three ConMet Plants Receive 2020 Masters of Quality Supplier Award from DTNA 2021-11-17
- Daimler Truck AG and Cummins Inc.Announce Global Plan for Medium-duty CV Engines 2021-02-24
- Daimler Plans Separation into Two Pure-play Companies 2021-02-04
- Daimler to Revamp China Plant to Make Mercedes-Benz-branded Actros Truck 2020-11-18
- Daimler and Volvo Sign Binding Agreement to Form a Fuel-cell Joint Venture 2020-11-03
- Mercedes-Benz Access to New Target markets with Actros F and Edition 2 2020-09-29
- Daimler Presents ‘GenH2' Mercedes-Benz Fuel-Cell Concept Truck 2020-09-18
- Volvo, Daimler to Form a Joint Venture for Large-scale Production of Fuel Cells 2020-04-24
- Daimler Trucks' Next EV will be a Garbage Truck 2020-02-04
- Daimler Brings its Latest Products on Display at CIIE 2019-11-08
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Chery Rolls Off Its New Energy Mining Truck in Erdos
- FAW Jiefang Put into Operation Its J7 Smart Vehicle Plant
- JAC Kazakhstan Plant Rolls Off Its 40,000th Vehicle in 2021
- SANY Factory Certified as World’s First Lighthouse Factory in Heavy Machinery
- FAW Jiefang and ZOOMLION Continue to Deepen Their Strategic Partnership
- SAIC Light Truck EH500 Electric Sanitation Vehicle Obtains EU Certificate
- 30 Days Countdown to CIIE, Volvo Group Announces Participation in the Expo
- SANY to Attend the Second China-Africa Economic and Trade Expo
- BYD Introduces Next Generation Electric Trucks at ACT Expo
- FULONGMA Ranked in Top 50 Environmental Enterprises in China
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Top Ten Sales in New Energy Light-duty Trucks in October
- Top 10 Export Markets for Chinese Trucks in JAN.-SEP. 2021
- Top Ten New Energy Heavy-duty Truck Brands
- Top Ten Sales in New Energy Light-duty Trucks in September
- China Top 10 Tractor Head Performers in September
- Top Ten Sales in Heavy-duty Truck Market in September
- Light-duty Truck Sales Increased by More Than 30 Percent MOM in September
- JMC Pickup Sales Went Up by 13% YOY From January to September
- Sales Revenue Doubles in 50 Countries: SANY’s Internationalization Acceleratin
- SAIC Maxus' Sales Volume for Sep. Reached Record 17,684 Units, Up 25% YOY