Ballard Closes Strategic Collaboration With Weichai Power
Ballard Power Systems (NASDAQ: BLDP; TSX: BLDP) today announced that the Company has successfully closed a strategic collaboration transaction with Weichai Power Co., Ltd. (“Weichai”), initially detailed in a press release issued on August 29, 2018.
“This strategic collaboration with Weichai – a leading automotive equipment manufacturer specializing in the production of powertrains, automobiles, intelligent logistics, automotive parts and components – underscores our high conviction in the opportunity for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles, or FCEVs, in China’s Heavy Duty Motive market,” said Randy MacEwen, Ballard President and CEO. “We see our collaboration with Weichai as an important validation of the FCEV value proposition and Ballard’s technology leadership in PEM fuel cells. We expect our partnership to be a positive long-term catalyst for Ballard’s business and for shareholder value.”
Ballard’s strategic collaboration with Weichai includes the following key elements:
Equity Investment – an equity investment in Ballard has been made by Weichai in the amount of approximately $163.6 million, representing a 19.9% interest in the company, through the subscription and purchase of shares from treasury at a price of $3.54, which reflects a 15% premium to the 30-day VWAP of $3.08 on August 29, 2018.
In addition, Zhongshan Broad-Ocean Motor Co., Ltd. – a current Ballard strategic investor and Chinese partner (“Broad-Ocean”; www.broad-ocean.com/en/index.html) – has invested a further approximately $20.2 million, through the subscription and purchase of shares from treasury at the same price of $3.54 to maintain its 9.9% ownership position in Ballard.
As a result, the Weichai and Broad-Ocean equity investments in Ballard have generated total gross proceeds of approximately $183.8 million. The use of proceeds are expected to include investment in Ballard’s core fuel cell business, equity contributions to a joint venture company (“JV”) established by Weichai and Ballard to finance Ballard’s ownership position in the joint venture’s operations, and support of potential M&A transactions.
The Weichai and Broad-Ocean investments are subject to 2-year “standstill” and resale restrictions (subject to customary exceptions). For so long as Weichai holds at least 15% of Ballard’s outstanding shares, it will have the right to nominate two directors to Ballard’s board of directors, and Ballard will expand its board from the current seven directors to nine directors. Weichai has also agreed that, in the event of a third-party offer to buy Ballard, Weichai will have the right to make a superior proposal or otherwise must vote its shares in accordance with the Ballard board recommendation.
China Joint Venture and Technology Transfer – Weichai and Ballard will establish a joint venture company in Shandong Province to support China’s Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle market, with Ballard holding an initial 49% ownership position. The JV will manufacture Ballard’s next-generation LCS fuel cell stack and LCS-based power modules for bus, commercial truck and forklift applications with exclusive rights in China and will pay Ballard $90 million under a program to transfer technology to the JV in order to enable these manufacturing activities. The JV will purchase Membrane Electrode Assemblies (MEAs) for LCS fuel cell stacks exclusively from Ballard under a long-term supply agreement.
Weichai and Ballard will fund pro rata shares of the JV based on an agreed business plan. Weichai will hold three of five JV board seats and Ballard will hold two, with Ballard having certain shareholder protection provisions. Ballard will also retain an exclusive right to the transferred technologies outside China.
Broad-Ocean has also expressed an interest in acquiring a 10% ownership position in the JV, which would correspondingly reduce Ballard’s ownership position from 49% to 39%. Discussions regarding this investment are currently underway between the parties.
Fuel Cell Sales – Weichai intends to build and supply at least 2,000 fuel cell modules by 2021 for commercial vehicles using Ballard technology. Specific terms related to the scope of supply, product mix, pricing and timing of shipments are under discussion between the parties.
Ballard is continuing discussions with the Synergy-Ballard joint venture and other partners in China to address current issues and future opportunities. (www.chinatrucks.com)
- Dongfeng Delivers a Special Report at Engine China 2018 2018-11-15
- SAIC Yuejin Rolls Out 2019 New Truck Models in Nanjing 2018-11-15
- 37 Units First Batch Dongfeng KD Vehicles Delivered to Ethiopia 2018-11-14
- Top Ten Rankings for Light trucks, Mini Trucks, Heavy and Medium Trucks in Oct. 2018-11-14
- The 10th Anniversary Ceremony of JAC in Chile is Held Grandly 2018-11-14
- Foton Philippines Sets to Launch Gratour TM in 2019 2018-11-14
- Foton Gets Order for 167 ROWAR ES5 Medium-duty Trucks 2018-11-13
- WABCO Signs Deal with Hyundai to Supply Advanced Techs for New Medium Trucks 2018-11-12
- Foton Motor Opens Its 26th Dealership in La Union, Philippines 2018-11-09
- Yuchai Machinery and DFAC Sign a Comprehensive Strategic Cooperation Agreement 2018-11-09
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- Dongfeng Delivers a Special Report at Engine China 2018
- SHACMAN Signs a 100-million RMB Contract with Cummins
- JAC Attended 2018 China(Macau) International Automobile Exposition
- XCMG Marks 3rd Year in Pakistan
- FAW Secures a Credit Line of 1 Trillion Yuan from 16 Chinese Banks
- BYD’s First Energy Storage Project in Poland Begins Operations
- SAIC Hongyan Firefighting Trucks to Serve APEC Leaders Informal Meeting
- Mercedes-Benz Launches New Actros, Arocs into Nigeria’s Market
- Tesla Secures Land in China for Its First Factory Outside US
- Heavy-Duty Truck Shows No Signs Of Stopping in China
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Top Ten Rankings for Light trucks, Mini Trucks, Heavy and Medium Trucks in Oct.
- FAW Jiefang Sold 237,500 Medium-and Heavy-duty Trucks between Jan. and Oct.
- Foton Aumark Sold 33,000 Units from January to September
- China Sold 292,200 Units Trucks in September
- CAMC Medium- and Heavy-duty Truck Sales from Jan. to Sept Grew 6.93%
- FAW Jiefang Sold 18,400 Units of Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks in September
- SAIC Hongyan Self-dumping Truck Sales Jumped by 110% from January to August
- GAC Hino Sales Jumped by 148% From January to August
- Dongfeng Sold 11,322 Units Medium and Heavy-duty Trucks in August
- China Sold 266,000 Units Trucks in July