Volvo Truck Launches a Unique Gearbox for Heavy Vehicles
www.chinatrucks.com: Volvo Trucks is now launching I-Shift Dual Clutch, the first transmission on the market with a dual clutch system for heavy vehicles. Thanks to power-shift gear changes without any interruption in power delivery, torque is maintained and the truck does not lose any speed during gear changes. For the driver, the result is more comfortable and efficientprogress on the road.
"In situations that require a lot of gear changes, for instance on hills or roads with lots of curves and bends, I-Shift Dual Clutch brings an entirely new dimension to truck driving. Here at Volvo Trucks we are immensely proud to be able to offer this innovation to our customers," says Claes Nilsson, President of Volvo Trucks.
I-Shift Dual Clutch is a transmission consisting of two input shafts and a dual clutch. This means that two gears can be selected at the same time. It is the clutch that determines which of the gears is currently active. I-Shift Dual Clutch is based on I-Shift, but the front half of the gearbox has been redesigned with entirely new components.
"When driving it feels like you have access to two gearboxes. When one gear is selected in one gearbox, the next gear is already prepared in the other. With dual clutches, gear changes take place without any interruption in power delivery. As a result, engine torque is maintained and driving comfort is significantly improved," says Astrid Drewsen, product manager for drivelines at Volvo Trucks.
Leading innovations and improving driving experience
I-Shift Dual Clutch is particularly effective in long haul operations and conditions that require a lot of gear changing, for instance on hills or on roads with lots of twists and turns, or when driving through cities with plenty of roundabouts and traffic lights. I-Shift Dual Clutch also makes a big difference when transporting moving or liquid cargoes, such as animal transports and tanker operations, since the seamless gear changes prompt less movement in the cargo itself. Thanks to I-Shift Dual Clutch power-shifting, there is less risk of getting stuck on slippery or uneven roads.
Another major advantage with the new transmission is that it improves driver comfort. "In addition to efficient driving, the smooth gear changes also mean that the in-cab environment feels quieter," says Astrid Drewsen.I-Shift Dual Clutch will be available on the Volvo FH with Euro 6 D13 engines and with 460, 500 and 540 horsepower.
Available from autumn 2014 and debut in IAA (InternationaleAutomobil-Ausstellung)
I-Shift Dual Clutch will be available from autumn 2014 on the Volvo FH.
Transmissions with dual clutches are already used in cars, but Volvo Trucks is the first manufacturer in the world to offer a similar solution for series-produced heavy vehicles.
"For trucks, this gearbox will truly make a major difference to drivability. The heavier the transport and the tougher the operating conditions, the more you will gain with I Shift Dual Clutch. Power-shift gear changes, where there is no interruption in power delivery, means it is easier to keep up with traffic, especially on tricky stretches of roads. The result is more relaxed and safe driving," says Astrid Drewsen.
As one of the leading commercial vehicles manufacturer, Volvo Trucks will take this genuine innovation¬——New I-Shift Dual Clutch system the IAA. Being one of the most influential commercial vehicle exhibition in the world, IAA is heldonce every two year, and will be openedfrom September 25 to October 2 this year. The main messages for Volvo Trucks will be: Innovations & Uptime. During the exhibition, innovations such as the new I-Shift Dual Clutch gearbox, VDS (Volvo Dynamic Steering), IFS (Independent Front Suspension System), as well as connected servicewill be presented. In addition to the show of new FH, other series such as FM, FMX, FE and FL will be also exhibited this time.
Facts, I-Shift Dual Clutch
• I-Shift Dual Clutch can basically be described as two gearboxes linked together. When one gearbox is active, the next gear is preselected in the other gearbox. During gear changing, the first gearbox is disconnected at the same instant as the second gearbox is connected, so gear changes take place without any interruption in power delivery.
• I-Shift Dual Clutch is based on the I-Shift transmission. Despite its many new components the new gearbox is just 12 cm longer than a regular I-Shift unit.
• I-Shift Dual Clutch changes gear without any disruption to power delivery. When driving in conditions where it is more optimal for the transmission to skip a few gears, the transmission changes gear just like a regular I-Shift unit.
• I-Shift Dual Clutch can change gears without any interruption in power delivery, with the exception of the range-change, which takes place when shifting from 6th to 7th gear.
• Smooth, gentle gear changes cut wear on the driveline and the rest of the vehicle.
• Fuel consumption with I-Shift Dual Clutch is the same as with regular I-Shift.
• I-Shift Dual Clutch will be available on the new Volvo FH as an alternative to I Shift and manual transmission.
- Volvo, Daimler And Traton Agree On JV Charging Network for Europe 2021-12-27
- China Premier: VOLVO Trucks To-Be-Locally-Produced Flagship Model FH 2021-11-09
- 30 Days Countdown to CIIE, Volvo Group Announces Participation in the Expo 2021-10-11
- Volvo Trucks Acquires Heavy-duty Truck Manufacturing Operation in China 2021-08-24
- ZF Attends 2021 Volvo Auto Asia-Pacific Science Day on Sustainable Development 2021-07-23
- Volvo Trucks and DFDS Cooperate to Run Electric Supply Chain Transports 2021-06-07
- Volvo Posted Unexpected Profit in Q2 2020-07-24
- Volvo, Daimler to Form a Joint Venture for Large-scale Production of Fuel Cells 2020-04-24
- Volvo Trucks in North America Demonstrate Electric Heavy Duty Trucks 2020-02-13
- Volvo Develops Heavy-duty Electric Concept Trucks 2019-12-11
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- BYD Stopped the Production of Fuel Vehicles
- Geely Began Test Runs of Green E-methanol Vehicles in Danmark
- 2022 SANY Global Dealer Summit Was Held Successfully Online
- BYD and Shell Partner on EV Charging across China and Europe
- Daimler Truck Significantly Increase Sales, Revenue and Net Profit in 2021
- Scania Year-end Report January-December 2021
- Hyundai Motor and Iveco Group Sign MOU to Explore Future Collaboration
- GAUSSIN Enters China, the Largest Truck Market in the World
- Over 1,200 Hydrogen-powered Vehicles Deployed for the Beijing Winter Olympics
- Chinese New Year Holiday Closure Notice
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- China's Truck Exports Grew by 30% YOY to 63490 Units in January-February
- China's New Energy Heavy Trucks Grew Despite an Overall Slump
- Heavy-duty Truck sales in China Fell by 54% to 54,000 units in February
- SINOTRUK Achieves Sales of 27,725 Vehicles in January, 2022
- China’s Domestic Tractor Sales Exceed 40,000 Units in January
- 2021 JAC International Pickup Export Performance
- JAC Achieved a Great Result in 2021
- China's Truck Export in 2021 Reached a 10-year Peak
- Heavy-duty Truck Sales in China Fall 57 Percent on Year in January
- China Recorded Sales of 645000 Tractors in 2021