China's ZX Auto Reveals Latest Mexico Production Plans
(chinatrucks.com, Dec.18, 2009)In 2006 ZX Auto had plans to build a facility in Tijuana to produce SUVs and pickups, which would have made it the first Chinese company to set up operations in Mexico. The next year, the company moved the plant's prospective location to Saltillo in northeast Mexico, incorporated a new U.S. company named CHAMCO (China America Cooperative Automotive) and sold dealership rights throughout Mexico. The whole plan was eventually canceled after fraud allegations against the leadership of CHAMCO came to light, harming the Chinese manufacturer's momentum in Mexico.
Earlier this month, Baja California Governor José Guadalupe Osuna Millan disclosed ZX Auto's investment plans, which are projected to amount to some $400 million and employ 1,400 people. Annual production volume is said to be near 200,000 units. ZX Auto would partner with Mexican Grupo FEMA, a local chain of Ford dealerships and a real estate developer.
The projections are highly optimistic considering that ZX Auto sold only 6,000 vehicles last year in its considerably larger home market of China. At least for the first few years, exporting the Mexico-built autos to the U.S. won't be an option because of the need to meet regulations first. But the plant's location close to the U.S.-Mexico border clearly sets the longer-term priorities of the company.
The models to be produced have not been announced, although the information at the news conference that buses would be manufactured seems unlikely. It would make more sense for ZX Auto to bring over models that the company currently sells in China and South America, such as the Landmark SUV, the Admiral pickup, and perhaps the Cruiser CUV.
Baja California is also the place where Toyota produces its Tacoma truck. The Japanese company's supply network in the area would be critical for this project. Fiscal incentives from the Mexican government and the attractiveness of Mexico's trade agreements are also encouraging the Chinese automaker to commit resources to this area.
- ZXAUTO TerraLord Pickup Officially Enters Gulf Region 2018-04-23
- ZX auto secured pickup order in Saudi Arabia 2015-01-30
- ZX AUTO Won 213 Units Order from China Power Grid’s Tender 2015-01-29
- ZX Auto Wins an Order of 550 Grand Tiger TUV Pickups from Iraq 2013-12-26
- Chery may cooperate with ZX to export pickups 2012-03-05
- ZX pickups hold large inventory in Libya 2011-11-30
- ZX Multi-functional Pickup Huwei F1 Releases 2011-03-30
- ZX Huwei F1 Releases in Spring 2011-03-08
- Xishuangbanna:Tour of Honor ZX Auto Visits Borders 2009-12-09
- ZXAUTO Shines on Changchun International Auto Show 2009-08-31
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- BYD Introduces Next Generation Electric Trucks at ACT Expo
- FULONGMA Ranked in Top 50 Environmental Enterprises in China
- Volvo Trucks Acquires Heavy-duty Truck Manufacturing Operation in China
- SANY Opens a New Branch in Scotland
- Daimler and Cummins Signed GFA for Cooperation in Medium-duty Engines
- FAW Jiefang Rolls Off Its 8 Millionth Vehicle
- A New Truck for a New Era: Mercedes-Benz eActros Celebrates Its World Premiere
- ZOOMLION Looks to Expand the EU Market with Its New Factory Inaugurated
- CIMC Teams up with Shaanxi Automobile to Make a Flagship High-end SPV
- JAC Exhibited In Kazakhstan Auto Show
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Weichai Power 2021 Interim Performance in A Glimpse
- SHACMAN Tops the List of the Dumper Sales in July
- Top Ten Tractor Manufacturing Companies in China in July
- Light Truck Sales in the First Seven Months Reached 1300,000 Units
- GWM Sold 91,555 Vehicles Worldwide in July, up 16.9% Year-on-Year
- China Sold 1.044 Million Units Heavy-duty Trucks from January to June
- Geely Yuan Cheng Reports 626% Rise in H1, 2021
- Foton January to June Sales Volume 411,962 Units,YOY 28.67 %
- China Truck Export Jumped by 133% from January to May
- Foton Overseas Sales Volume Breaks 30,000 Units in H1, Up 67.7% YOY